Rare drops truly random?

I got 2 decent Rare drops a while back, when I was still low level and in Normal difficulty.

However, since then I've reached the max tier of 15 (right?) and see others with attack/defense of 100mil and their gear looks insane.

Any thoughts/ideas on rare drops and where/when you received yours?

In addition to actually getting rare loot drops you'll need to do a few more things in order to boost your stats up. Make sure you are using stones to level up your gear, doing so will increase your attack/defense rating. Earn or buy treasures, almost all of them have a significant effect on your stats. The max equipment level is...? With tier transcendence, I'm not really sure what it is now. Without it, the max tier level is 16.
I definitely have plenty of Tier 15 stuff that's magic/epic/legendary, level 30 and up; 'normal' gear hasn't been an issue. So funny enough, I've almost doubled my stats since posting this. Still holding out for the unique drops of Lightning Set, Inferno Set, Dark Set, etc tho
The drops really do seem random but I'd say you'd have better luck getting unique drops on boss levels. You might even want to consider combining legendary items to create unique ones, I got a lightning sword that way. Good luck.